Gallery_logo.GIF (12148 bytes)

Click on images to enlarge


When this dragon came out from Reaper I knew I had to paint him - he was just such a bad-ass dragon and I hadn't painted a dragon in a while, so... I got on the horn to ReaperRon and worked out a deal to paint him for the Reaper display at GenCon 2000. In my usual "on time" fashion (aka the mini is painted the night before), I did the work the month before the con, right up until I shipped him to Reaper.

First off, this dragon is huge & heavy!! The only dragon as weighty is the AEG Fire Dragon, though I think Gauth tips the scales slightly heavier, and he's definitely taller! I typically hold my minis with my left hand when I paint: no way was I going to hold this dragon for the days it would take to finish him...

So I rigged up a stand to attach him to, using a spare tripod, a 6" wooden plaque with a hole drilled in the center, and a nut glued into the hole. The nut was screwed into the tripod's camera mount screw and the dragon was attached to the wood using screws into the pewter feet (I trick I picked up from Chern Ann Ng's work on this same mini). This rig enabled me to position him at many angles, while saving my wrist big-time!



My color palette tends heavily toward reds and oranges, so I decided to stretch a little and do Gauth as a blue dragon. I had this nice teal Createx airbrush paint lying around which served as the primary color. I decided to paint with the same coloration as a lizard: underside of belly and limbs in a lighter color, getting progressively darker the higher on the torso I got. Like my lava dragon, I blocked in the basecoat shading with an airbrush, and then proceeded to do the finish work with thinned inks washes, paint drybrushes, and blending.

The belly plates and horns were done in light tans, to give them a bony look. The yellow stripe down the side of the tail, and on the lower jaw, hinted at the blue dragon's lightning breath (as did the open mouth)...

To mesh the base with the rocks cast on Gauth's feet, I used pieces of flat sandstone (broken with a hammer) to form a "shale quarry" look, along with some DAS Pronto air-dry clay. I didn't even have to prime any of this, as the porosity of the materials let me paint/wash/drybrush directly onto the rock and clay (whole base took a 1/2 hour and looks very nice! It took me longer to spray and varnish the black wooden plaque it's attached to! ;^)


Left view
Up close and personal

Right view



Worm's eye view

(varnish was too glossy on the wings, but I couldn't get it flatten out, even using Testor's Dullcoate).

Sig file ;^)

(chisled effect didn't come out as well as I wanted, but oh well...)



Shot courtesy of Bob Lippman from the Strategic Headquarters


Shots courtesy of Patrick Chambers from The Chamber of Miniatures

back.GIF (3831 bytes)

All images and text Copyright 2001Laszlo Jakusovszky